How much do panhandlers really make? Can you possibly make a living at this? How much of a difference does a funny sign make? Will people give to a guy in a banana suit? Does every sign have to say "God Bless?" Important questions. I aim to find the answers. Give me a dollar. God Bless.

Saturday, June 25, 2005

A Busy Weekend



I'm going out tonight to panhandle as a zombie in honor of the Trash Film Orgy. Then I'll try spare changinig the kids that go in to the see the show. This is particularly hillarious, to me anyway, because I started this film festival five years ago. I quit after the first three years and let my co-founders have it. But it's a place where I get to play cool kid, and I've often heard kid's in line whisper to each other, "That's the dude that started this." Now I'll be begging them for their change. I think I'll tell them that I need money so I can buy a ticket to get in. On Sunday I'll be doing the freeway offramp with the signs that you all suggested (see last post). Thanks for so many great suggestions. And Tuesday I will swallow my pride and do my first non-costumed, non-funny cardboard signing. I need to see how much I make with the gimmicks and costumes AND without so I can compare. It's market research. This is way easier to do with the costumes and I'm pretty nervous about putting myself out there as "A REAL LIFE BEGGAR!" Oh well, this should do wonders in the ego smashing department. Hmmm, the zen of begging on freeway offramps. Could a book be in the works?
I'll have new pictures up on Monday. In the meanwhile, I could really use some green tea from Pete's Coffee. Can you maybe donate a couple of bucks? I'd really appreciate it.
God Bless!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Dan L said...

Joe Beggar, In panhandling it's just like Real Estate: location, location, location. You list yourself as Anytown and everyone knows Yourtown USA is the place to be. You need to have the big city thing going for you, laddie. Try the Telephone Scam: dress in your best suit & tie with briefcase. Make like you are on an important call on a busy street, and you're in need of change. Have your briefcase open & stuffed with paperwork so you look legit. Hold a hand over the handset and beg change, telling your marks you're on 'long distance - and you need a few quarters real bad'. Have one of your pockets turned inside-out. A good busy business/city street should get you $25.00 hourly if you work it right. Best of luck.

8:30 PM

 
Blogger thepanhandler said...

Actually, we are planning to put a desk on an offramp and I'll wear a suit and I'm going to actually call people from the phone book and ask if they'd be willing to go to my website and give me a dollar, while I also collect from passing motorists. The cops'll chase us away pretty quick but it sure will be funny. Professional panhandling at it's most professional.
As for the move to Yourtown. I'm new at this. I'm not ready for the big time.

11:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home