How much do panhandlers really make? Can you possibly make a living at this? How much of a difference does a funny sign make? Will people give to a guy in a banana suit? Does every sign have to say "God Bless?" Important questions. I aim to find the answers. Give me a dollar. God Bless.

Monday, June 27, 2005

Your Sign Ideas at Work



















I picked my favorite three sign ideas from your suggestions, applied some sunscreen and went out panhandling this weekend. I was in a clean t-shirt and pin striped pants, clean shaven and smiling. I made $5.00 an hour. Not so impressive. Without the banana suit many folks didn't bother to read the signs. I liked this. It meant a special treat for folks who pay attention to the world around them.

The "Last Cardboard sign guy for 2 miles" sign was Rob Cockerham of Cockeyed.com 's idea. It got the most laughs and made most of the money, but it also caused me the most problems. One guy, about 10 minutes after giving me some change, walked up onto the offramp with me! He read the sign again, carefully and then he asked for his 35 cents back becuase he found another sign guy less than 2 miles away. I gave him the 35 cents and assured him I'd switch signs. He read the new sign, nodded and dropped the money back in my bucket. I could've hugged him. There were also two ladies rocking back and forth, laughing hysterically. I'm so glad that Rob drove by and saw me out there with his sign.


The other signs got many smiles as well. Thanks to Deron for "Exact change only" and anonymous for my personal favorite, "The End is Here-->." And many thanks to Scott, Laurie and their lovely daughter Trillian (yep, they're geeks) for coming out and taking photos. I repaid the favor by teaching Trillian how to eat whole packets of sugar. You should've seen her jones when mama Laurie cut her off. They then got me back by making me hang out with the hyper sugar spun kid for the next three hours!!!
I think I'll do my "Need money for birth control. Please give!" sign next.

I didn't make much dough, and I was running low on ink so the signs weren't all they could've been (no time to go get crayons from the coffee shop, didn't want to be late for my panhandling job.) I will do more of your suggested signs soon. I will also try dressing a bit more raggedy, and working without a smile to see how that affects the pitty/generosity of strangers.

For now though, I could really use a vegan brownie from the natural foods co-op. Could ya spare a couple bucks? If not, at least click on my google ads, but really, a couple of bucks would make my day. Them vegan brownies aint cheap. God bless.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cori said...

You are brilliant! I love you blog!

2:04 PM

 
Blogger thepanhandler said...

That's really nice. Thank you. I'm glad folks are enjoying the site, and giving me money.
I've been know to read your blog as well.

3:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clever?
No.
Stupid worthless fuck.

1:21 PM

 
Blogger thepanhandler said...

I agree.
Can you spare a couple bucks?
God Bless!

6:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home