How much do panhandlers really make? Can you possibly make a living at this? How much of a difference does a funny sign make? Will people give to a guy in a banana suit? Does every sign have to say "God Bless?" Important questions. I aim to find the answers. Give me a dollar. God Bless.

Friday, July 01, 2005

Begging In Portugal


This is a letter I got from my friend Eric who is in Portugal. He took the picture too.

"Like you, the gypsies in Portugal have some great angles. Sometimes they fuck with their kids´eyes and make them ask for change for glasses. There was one guy that was pretty slow (Forest Gump slow) who asked me for two euros for a cup of coffee, which is only 50 cents. I am impressed because he asked me for money in english. When I offered him my coffee, he didn´t want it. Then he started walking behind people asking them for two euros. He was completely ignored. While this was happening, a couple of kids were feeding the pigeons bread from the bakery. Christ! The rats with wings had more luck than him. Pan Handler, can you spare a banana suit to help this guy out? "

Eric's promised to send pictures of Portugalese Panhandlers soon. In the meanwhile can you spare me a couple of bucks to buy a second banana suit? God Bless.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Amiba said...

Cool site. great idea. I've always wondered how much the panhandlers get (that and the people that park cars... at least in portugal they're everywhere...) BTW, it's not Portugalese, it's Portuguese... you panhandaleiro. Could you ask your friend where that picture was taken....it seems vaguely familiar to me...

1:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

€2 is about US$2.40.

7:45 AM

 
Blogger thepanhandler said...

Portugalese is funnier.

8:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home