How much do panhandlers really make? Can you possibly make a living at this? How much of a difference does a funny sign make? Will people give to a guy in a banana suit? Does every sign have to say "God Bless?" Important questions. I aim to find the answers. Give me a dollar. God Bless.

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Panhandling Mime

I went out as the mime ready to have my ass kicked. Ready to be yelled at flipped off, ridiculed and hated. As I crossed the street to take my place on the offramp a guy in a Van yelled "F**k you, ya F**kin' Mime" only he wasn't so polite as to you the asterixes. I turned and gave him my pouty face and he gave me the finger. As I turned back around a man and woman were laughing hysterically and they threw me quarter. This was shaping up to be a great day.

The day did not live up to it's promise. The rest of the day was fairly boring. The blank sign confused a-lot of folks even though I kept pointing at the part that would have said "God Bless." One man gave me two bucks and asked if I was collecting for Hurrican Katrina victims. I shook my head no, rubbed my belly and pointed to myself. That's mime for "I just need money for coffee and french fries man."

A woman gave me a buck and told me the blank sign was funnier than the "Everybody hates me sign." I quickly swapped signs and put my hand out for another buck but she'd done her giving for the day.

Two tuff guy kids with a big mean dog came by. I walk by the house where all these kids hang out every day and I always say hello, but I was not so rec0gnizable in my mime get up. I was kind of intimidated as they walked back and forth a couple of times checking me out. Then I noticed a dollar in one of their hands and I realized he wanted to play along. He was as afraid of me as I was of him. Yeah, cliche or not, it was an important realization. Funny that I used to cause people to be afraid when I was a little boot wearing spikey haired punk rock kid.

I made $3.25 in an hour. The totals have been so low lately. Not sure quite what's going on. It's not a reliable source of income that's for sure. But you can certainly help. Kick me down a couple of bucks so I can buy me some amazing live pet sea monkeys? The donate buttons are on the right there. God Bless.

7 Comments:

Anonymous rjk said...

Well done on the mime get-up! Sorry it wasn't more lucrative.

Where did you get that shirt?? I went as a mime for Halloween a few years ago, and I had to settle for an all black turtleneck under my red suspenders.

2:46 PM

 
Blogger thepanhandler said...

Thank rjk. It helps having a friend who owns a costume shop. Decades costumes here in Sacramento helps me to be the best dressed beggar on the block.

3:30 PM

 
Blogger Phelpsy said...

I cant believe the Mime didn't earn much more...

I would have definatly given money to a mime, but then again I would give money to anyone who does what you do.

Where I am there is no pan handlers, theres a few in the other cities I go to but not many and definatly none as good as you

I have now also read all posts on the allmyjobs blog... truly amazing stuff, I cant stop laughing

Keep it up

7:43 AM

 
Blogger Keith Lowell Jensen said...

Thanks.
Glad you're enjoying All My Jobs.
I added one today, and I've only got one more to do until I'm out of jobs.
I'm re re-writing all of the material, having the arts editor of the Sacramento News and Review edit it and then I'm going to try to publish it.
In the meanwhile I need more jobs to write about so I'm going to go apply at Target.
:)

www.allmyjobs.blogspot.com

10:14 AM

 
Blogger Phelpsy said...

The Next Idea for panhandling.. ok maybe not the next but a good one none the less

why not try it as a pro wrestler... Dress up looking like an old wrestler out of the 80's and see how that goes.

Surely some people would have some spare change for an old legend

Phelpsy

11:02 AM

 
Blogger Keith Lowell Jensen said...

I am currently editing a short film with my buddy Mike Rafter and it features two masked mexican wrestlers who will Lucha For Food or $

This is an art film totally seperate from the documentary. I'll try and get some still from it up soon.

12:30 PM

 
Blogger Phelpsy said...

You do realise you are going to have to send this stuff to Canada

I need to get my hands on all of this... I read about the crrrrrrrrazy day... I could only dream to watch it

3:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home